Skip to main content

Full text of "Jordan Memorial United Methodist Church, 1886-1986 : service to God and man"

See other formats


Cox, Evelyn W. 

Jordan Memorial United 
Methodist Church, 1886-1986 









I 







■# 



li 



UNITED 




Z<586-19B^ 



Additional copies may be (^S-^j 
obtained by writing: 

JORDAN MEMORIAL UNITED METH. 

CHURCH 

P. O. BOX 848 

RAMSEUR, N.C. 27316 



By Evelyn W. Cox 



Mrs. Cox has been a Member of Jordan Memorial 
United Methodist Church for over sixty years. She 
has studied the history of Randolph County and has 
taught courses in Randolph County history at 
Randolph Technical College. 



Heritage Committee 

Rev, T. Steven McLain 

Mrs. Evelyn W, Cox 

Mrs. Toni G, Marley 

Mrs. Carolyn Albright 

Rev. George B. Culbreth 

Mrs. Madge C. Kivett 

Bill Johnson 

Bill Watkins 



Jordan Memorial United Methodist Church 

Main Street 

Raraseur, North Carolina 



Introduction 



Jordan Memorial history was written at 
the insistence of younger members who wished to 
know about earlier days in our church. 

Since a lot of our past has been lost or 
burned we had to rely on oral history in many 
instances. Mr. V.C. Mar ley was very interested 
in our church people and history. No doubt he 
was working on our church history when a fire 
completely destroyed his store. Many of our 
church records were there; so the remaining 
books are not enough to make a continuous story 
from the beginning. 

Mrs. Alice Burgess Euliss attended the 
first church at the Masonic Hall. She 
remembered many things, but all she told us was 
not written, so we have no way of getting a 
complete history now. 

I have tried to write the happenings for 
children to read and be proud of their church 
forebears. In looking over our church rolls we 
should be very humble to realize the great 
heritage we have received. So many of the 
workers are unnamed, yet they contributed with 
their time, money and presence. 

Mistakes have been made and names 
omitted but maybe someone can add more and we 
can have a later edition with real history. 

Thanks for the help you have given. 
Special thanks to the Bill Johnson family. They 
have interpreted the writing so that the printer 
could complete. 



The Town of Columbia 



In 1840 a sawmill was built near Deep 
River in what is now Raraseur. The settlement 
was called Allen's Falls, believed to be named 
for an early settler by that name. His home was 
located near where the Gospel Chapel Church now 
stands just off Coleridge Road. 

By 1850 other families were building 
homes near the curve in the river. And that 
year a small church was erected on the hilltop 
near the place where the First Christian Church 
now stands. This church was called the 
Missionary Baptist Church of Columbia. 

Later a dam was built on the river, a 
company was formed, and a small factory was 
built. Soon after 1850 the town was named 
Columbia. At that time fewer than a dozen 
houses were scattered between the river crossing 
and the newly formed church. A union Sunday 
school met at the church each Sunday. 

Reverend Brantly York notes in his 
autobiography that in 1872, "I preached and 
lectured at Columbia Factory and formed a 
grammar class." He said at another time, "I 
preached on the Sabbath at several places, viz: 
Columbia, Franklinville, Giles Chapel and Cool 
Springs." 

Reverend York probably preached in the 

old log school building and could have been 

trying to form a Methodist church here at that 
time. 



Born near Sandy Creek, Reverend York 
was quite an organizer. Together he and 
Reverend Braxton Craven founded Trinity College 
at the sight of where Trinity School now stands. 
Trinity College was later moved to Durham and 
renamed Duke University in honor of the family 
that placed a huge sum of money in it s 
endowment fund. 

Reverend Craven grew up in the home of 
Nathan Cox, Great Grandfather of Cecil Cox. The 
sight of the home is on the farm now owned by 
Bill and Emily Johnson. Materials from the 
Nathan Cox house, which was torn down in 1897, 
were used to build the house the Johnsons now 
occupy. 

Although both these men were strong 
Methodists and good organizers they 
obviously didn't get a church organized in our 
town. It was not until 1886 that the first 
Methodist church bagan here. 

Reverend J. C. Thomas, resident Pastor 
of Asheboro Methodist formally organized our 
church in 1886. The new congregation met in the 
old log school building until a new church could 
be built on Liberty Street. It was a tall 
rectangular one-story building, with a balcony 
that reached across three sides. The front had 
an open porch. 

The building was used as a church for 
just a few years. The congregation grew so 
quickly that more room was needed. That 
building which has been remodeled is now the 
Masonic Hall on Liberty Street. It was sold to 
the Masons in 1896. 



The reason the church on Liberty Street 
could not be made larger to accomodate the 
growing congregation was because it was too 
rough and rocky. In those days bulldozers and 
back hoes had not been invented. It was easier 
for the people to move to a new sight up on Main 
Street and build a new church than to try and 
deal with rocky land with mules and bare hands. 



Methodism in Ramseur 



Legend has it that John Wesley once 
traveled in Randolph County along the Trading 
Path and saw a deer stand in the mountains west 
of Asheboro, "What an appropriate place to put 
a brush arbor and preach," he thought. The 
place is now one of the historic spots in 
Randolph County. 

Methodism in America and in North 
Carolina began with the Wesleys and Asburys. 
Daniel Asbury traveled in Randolph and helped 
spread Methodist ideals among the settlers here. 
Brantley York was the first Methodist to preach 
in our town. 

Quakers, Baptists, Lutherans, and 
Presbyterians all predated the Methodist in this 
county. The first churches of each of these 
denominations were located as follows: Quakers 
at Holly Springs; Baptists at Sandy Ridge; 
Presbyterians at Sandy Creek and Lutherans at 
Barton's Meeting House and later at Melanchton. 

In Brantley York's autobiography we find 
camp meetings were being held in the southern 



part of Randolph County as early as 1824, One 
meeting was held at the sight of Old Salem 
Church. This area is on old Highway 64 between 
Ramseur and Franklinville. He claims to have 
preached in 1824 at a camp meeting held at Salem 

Other early Methodist churches included 
Franklinville, Rehobeth, Concord, and Giles 
Chapel. Early Christian churches were Pleasant 
Ridge, Parks Crossroads, and Shiloh. A 
Presbyterian church named Caylor was located 
near Buffalo Ford in 1853. 

So, there were plenty of churches in 
southern Randolph for early settlers to attend. 
And a lot of the social life of those first 
inhabitants must have been centered around their 
churches and camp meetings. 

Records show that some slaves attended 
church with their masters until after the Civil 
War. Sometimes church services were held in the 
slave quarters. 

In 1877 Cox's Chapel was built near 
Parks Croasroads Christian Church. 
Then in 1871 Stouts Chapel was built. Both of 
these churches were built by and attended by 
blacks with help from white congregations. 




Before 1958 Renovation 




After 1 958 Renovation 




Before 1958 Renovation 




After 1958 Renovation 



^^»^ 



€^ 





Mr. Thomas E, West's young wanen's Sunday School 
Class. Known manbers of the class Nannie Ferree I%rley 
(left front), Alice Burgess Euliss (right front), and 
Lula West Craven (right seccMid rc^^) . The ftoto was 
made around 19CD. 



Our Church on Main Street 



Sometime after January 1897 the 
congregation moved into a new church building on 
Main Street, The construction of this 
rectangularly shaped church was supervised by W, 
C, Jones, father of W. I. Jones. 

The sanctuary is still the same size 
today as when it was built in 1897. A small 
vestibule has been added on the right front and 
numerous renovations have changed it looks 
considerably, however. 

The inside walls of the original 
sanctuary were dark oak and windows were painted 
white. 

In the pulpit sat a heavy oak lecturn 
and three tall chairs upholstered in red velvet. 
A mahogoney altar railing was surrounded by a 
red velvet kneeling cushion. On each side of 
the pulpit was a square oak table used to place 
flowers. 

Two huge pot-bellied stoves seemed to 
overwhelm the front of the sanctuary. Men fed 
heavy sticks of wood into these stoves sometimes 
even during worship services. Pipes from these 
stoves reached upward for several feet, then ran 
together for several feet and again turned 
upward and out through a flue in the ceiling 
near the center of the church. The pipes were 



held in place by wires. 

Even with these bulky stoves, there was 
more room in the sanctuary than now. That's 
mainly because the pulpit area was smaller. 
There were some short pews down front that 
formed the Amen corner. On the right side down 
front were some theater-like chairs for the 
choir. 

Four Sunday School rooms reached across 
the back of the church building and protruded on 
each side. A small chimney was built between 
each two classrooms so a stove could be placed 
in each. 

Classes also met in the sanctuary. They 
were separated by red flannel curtains suspended 
on wires. Those who remember, say the clases 
may have been phyically separated but the sounds 
certainly weren't. You could often hear two or 
more other classes in session at the same time. 

The old pump organ which had been 
installed at the first church on Liberty Street 
was moved to the new location on Main Street, 
Miss Pearle Ferree remained as organist until 
she married H, F, Brady and moved her membership 
to the Christian Church. Then Miss Lizzie(Mrs, 
N, F, Phillips) served as organist. 

Oil lamps lit the church until 
electricity was installed in 1914. Electricity 
was installed at Ramseur School and at Columbia 
Manufacturing about this same time. The source 
of power was a generator owned by Columbia 



10 



Manufacturing Co. Its owners were generous 
enough to furnish electricity to the school and 
church. A few homes were later added to the 
system. 

Around 1915, through the generosity of 
W. H, Watkins, Sr. a pipe organ was secured. 
This was considered a great addition to the 
music program and visitors flocked in from all 
over the country to have a look at it. Many 
attended services just to hear this magnificent 
instrument. They marveled as Miss Lizzie belted 
those glorious hymns on that giant pipe organ. 

The first major addition to the church 
building on Main Street was the placing of some 
much needed space in front of the protruding 
Sunday School class rooms. This was easily done 
by taking out the front window on each room that 
protruded past the main building and converting 
it into a door. Then a new classroom was built 
in front of each of these rooms. This gave more 
class room and enlarged the area for the choir 
to use. The top of the old window is still 
visible in the sanctuary today. 

The next additon was made around 1919, 
This was built on the south side of the 
sanctuary and was called the annex. The area 
inside this building could be separated by 
folding doors. It could be made into six 
classrooms. Two chimneys carried away the smoke 
from large stoves. 

The old pump organ which was no longer 
being used in the sanctuary was moved to this 



11 



building. In this department the children held 
their opening exercises for Sunday School. 

Things remained the same until 1936 when 
a couple of indoor restrooras were built in the 
space between the older building and the annex. 
One of these back in the rear of the area used 
for the children's department had two coraodes 
side be side. So privacy must not have been a 
concern in those days. A sewage and water 
system for the town made these bathrooms a 
posibility. 

In 1946 two more classrooms were added 
to the front of the annex. No chimneys were 
built because a master heating plant had been 
installed by this time. However, use of the 
master heating plant was delayed until the fall 
of 1949, Minutes of the Board meeting held 
November 20, 1949 authorized the treasurer to 
dispose of all heaters except for two which were 
to be used when a small group met. 

Stained glass memorial windows were used 
in the latest addition. Prior to this time 
there were no memorial windows except one which 
had been placed in honor of Mrs. Elfleta Watkins 
Cole. She was the first woman married in the 
new church. The others were regular windows with 
the glass in them painted white. 

Mr. and Mrs. Guy F. Lane donated land to 
the north and east of the church building on 
Main Street in 1955. This made it possible to 
build the educational building now used for most 
of the church school classes. 



12 



Open house was held for the educational 
building on June 10, 1956. The three story 
byuilding housed the church office, Pastor's 
study, fifteen classrooms, bathrooms, a chapel, 
kitchen, and a large fellowship hall. 

Only a small amount of space in the 
older part of the building was given up to make 
the educational building expansion. One 
classroom from the old building was converted 
into a hallway. Later this large hallway was 
made into a library. It has now been converted 
into a large commons area and is used as an 
entryway to the church offices and the sanctuary 
and an area to hang coats. 

In 1958 the sanctuary was completely 
renovated. At that time new pulpit furnishings 
and new white pews were added. Blue carpet was 
added and the walls painted a soft color similar 
to that used today. Kneeling cushions were 
made of soft blue velvet. And altar chairs in 
matching colors were added to the pulpit area. 

A few small improvements were made in 
later years. In 1967 central air conditioning 
was installed in the sanctuary, the choir loft 
enlarged, and a workroom added. A new Baldwin 
electric organ replaced the pipe organ. 

In recent years the parking lot has been 
paved. This is in great contrast to the same 
area where horses once stood tied to hitching 
posts or trees in the shaded areas. Those 
horses stood hitched to the surrys with the 



13 



fringe on top and stomped at horseflies until 
they created mudholes and left other 
objectionable signs while their families 
attended Sunday School and Church. For several 
years even after members owned cars most of them 
drove them on trips during the week and walked 
to church on Sundays. They just didn't consider 
church an appropriate place to drive their 
automobiles. 

After the 1967 building changes no other 
major renovation or repairs had been done. In 
June 1982 the church retained the services of 
architect, Carl Myatt of High Point to draw 
plans to renovate the entire church. His plans 
were shown to the congregation in November 1982. 

At a Church Conference the building 
committee, chaired by Mrs. Sam Rankin, Sr, 
presented the renovation projects, plans which 
were approved. The committee was authorized to 
procure bids for the complete renovation of the 
building. However, when the bids were opened, 
the building committee felt that the total cost 
of the project was so high that the job should 
in done in two or more phases. 

On February 18, 1984 the congregation 
authorized the buiding of phase one of the 
renovation. Work began in May 1984 and was 
completed later that year. 

Included in this phase of the renovation 
was the relocation of the church office and 
Pastor's study. Major changes were made in the 
side and 



14 



front entrances, bathrooms, the choir work area, 
and the addition of a conference room just 
outside the Pastor's study. New carpet was 
installed in the entire area. 

At the time of the renovation a new 
organ was purchased to replace the Baldwin which 
haad been installed earleir to in place of the 
pipe organ. The new organ which is much more 
powerful than the one it replaced adds much to 
our music program. 

The new carpet and interior paint 
beautifully matches our kneeling pads at the 
altar which were placed there in 1979. These 
blue velvet cushions have suitable Christian 
symbols and were designed by Sam Rankin, Jr. 
The symbols were put on the cushions in 
needlepoint by Elzie Watkins, Bette Lee Craven, 
and Mr. and Mrs. Sam Rankin, Jr. 

The exterior was changed as little as 
possible during the renovation. The wooden 
weatherboarding which was beginning to look a 
little shabby in places from decay and 
weathering was replaced with vinyl siding. 
Insulation was added to all the areas that were 
renovated in this first phase of the project. 
The steeple which was leaning slightly had to be 
straightened and reinforced. The Celtic cross 
which had been added a few years earleir was 
replaced with the a replica of the original 
design. This was done at the urging of historic 
societies. The Celtic cross which was given as 
a memorial to Leo Rich was temporarily placed in 
a garden area in the church's sideyard. It is 



15 



scheduled to be placed in an attractive 
permanent landscaped area in the next 
renovation phase. 

Phase one of the renovation cost over 
$300,000. Members and freinds of the church 
have been quite generous in paying for this part 
of the renovation. Special help was received 
from the Randolph Area Mission Society and the 
Duke Endowment. For this the members of Jordan 
Memorial are grateful. A loan from First 
Citizens Bank and Trust Co. helped make the 
whole project possible. 

In February 1986 Joe Hardin, treasurer, 
announced that the church owed just $40,000 on 
its loan to the bank, a remarkable feat for a 
small congregation in such a short time. Also 
at its February 1986 meeting the Administrative 
Board urged the congregation to set a goal of 
having the debt entirely paid off by the end of 
1986. 

It is hoped that the next phase of the 
renovation can begin soon after the debt is paid 
and a the building fund is allowed to accumulate 
a reasonable amount of money. 



16 



First Church Funeral 



From oral history we find that the first 
funeral in our church must have been a morning 
funeral for H, B. Carter in September 1914, 

Someone may ask, "Didn't any Methodists 
die from the time the church started until is had 
been established 14 years?" The answer would be, 
yes many died, but this was before the time of the 
motorized hearse. 

Formerly the funeral cortege was driven by 
Mr. J.O. Forrestor who was owner of Crescent 
Furniture. Mr. Forrestor had two beautiful white 
horses to pull the hearse which was a large glass 
cart. Green drapery hid the casket from the 
public view. 

Before the time of the motorized hearse 
all funerals were held at the Christian Church 
which was convenient to the cemetery. The reason 
was that the horses would have to be tied at the 
church. They would become impatient while waiting 
for the service to be over, and then become unruly 
when the time came to proceed to the cemetery. 

Since this was so inconvenient, the 
service was held at the Christian Church. Then 
the horses were taken home. 

One explanation of why Mr. Carter's funeral 
was the first to be held in our church was this. 
He lived across the street from the Methodist 
Church (where Pell's Parking lot is) so his casket 
was carried to church by pallbearers and the 
horses were not used until they pulled the funeral 



17 



cortege to the cemetery, 

Mr. Carter had been manager of Carter 

Merchantile for many years and was a very 

faithful member of the church. So it was no 

surprise that the church was overflowing for his 
funeral on this humid September morning. 



18 



Church Grounds 



Care of the church yard and building is 
the responsibility of our Buildings and Grounds 
Committee. A special landscape committee takes 
care of our yard and shrubbery. 

The area south of the sanctuary was 
given to the churh by Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Watkins, 
Jr. A house on the property was torn down and 
the small building once used as the town's post 
office was moved to a special sight behind the 
city library. 

Park benches, trees, flowers, and 
walkways make this an inviting place for 
townsfolk to rest a spell while in the downtown 
area. The Celtic Cross which stood on top of 
the chruch steeple before the recent renovation 
project, is now temporarily mounted in this 
little park area. It will be relocated and 
permanently placed in a garden area when the 
later renovation phases are complete. 

Many of our church members give of their 
time to help maintain the church and grounds. 
Weekly cleaning of the church building is done 
by a person who works on contract with the 
church. Mowing of the lawn is also done by 
special hired workers part of the time. 



19 



Organizations in the Church 



In early day 
organization was the 
must have started a 
Church was organized, 
records that a Union 
1885. In 1890 the 
reported that there 
his churches. It is 
Ramseur Methodist. 



s probably the most important 

Sunday School. Our Methodists 

Sunday School soon after the 

The Ramseur Baptist history 

Sunday School was held until 

first pastor, Rev. Thomas 

were three Sunday Schools in 

assumed that one of these was 



Sunday School was a very important phase 
of the new church. Leaders have been listed at 
the first church. In 1898 the Superintendent was 
I.F. Craven, Secretary J.E. Cole. Teachers were 
listed as H.B. Carter, W.H. Watkins, Sr., Mrs. 
England (wife of pastor), T.E. West, Mrs. Carter, 
Miss Lou Elliot, Miss Mag Womble, Miss Etta 
Watkins. Miss England must have been preacher's 
daughter, J.B. Dixon and Mattie Burgess. 

On January 7, 1900 there were 84 present 
and the collection was 87 cents. This really was 
a penny collection! 



The 
and largest 
have taken 
sexton was 
per month, 
and County 
was written 
Ed Cole was 
writing. 



least collection listed was 50 cents 
was $1,38. The Sunday School must 

care of many of the expenses. The 

paid $4.50 for three months or $1.50 
Literature cost was $5.95 and State 

Sunday School work $1.50. The record 
in a beautiful handwriting. Since J. 
Secretary he must have done the 



just 



Later records were more like modern day - 
blanks were filled in. The weather each 



20 



Sunday was recorded, I supppose they thought this 
would explain the attendance, collection etc. 

Teachers in later years were U.C, Marley, 
J.W, Dixon, W,E, Marley, J,P, Cox, D,E, Highfill, 
Mrs, C.A. Marley, J.R. Wilson, W.P. White, Mrs. 
J.R. Wilson, Madge Craven Kivette, Miss Ida West, 
I*lrs. J.P, Cox, Sunday School Superintendents were 
I,F, Craven, V,C. Marley, W.E. Marley, Charles 
Dorsett, J.O. King, C,A, Cox, G,W, Allen, C.T, 
Hardin, Jr,, Vaughn Harapten Dorsett, and others. 

In recent years since classes go directly 
to their rooms, rather than have an opening 
ceremony the School Superintendent visits class 
rooms rather than lead the whole group, 

Fanny Cox sees that class literature is in 
classroom each quarter. 

Also more recent teachers were Mrs, Carrie 
C. Craven, Miss Linnie Cox, Martha White, Mary 
Slaughter, Bryte Lane, Madge Kivette, Evelyn Cox, 
Cecil Cox, Dave Zerfoss, Harvey Burgess, India 
Craven, Jackie Craven, Betty and Bob Armfield, 
Sarah and Jerry Reynolds, Betty Armfield, Doris 
Allen, Colum Watkins, Ray Albright, Jerry and 
Betty Shackleford, Charles Dorsett, Vaugh Hampton 
Dorsett, Edna Hudson, Nellie Canoy, Vivian 
Culbreth, J.C, Gilliland, Karen Zerfoss, Claudia 
Ihrae, Chris Cox, Susan Allen, Nancy Brackett, Bill 
Johnson, Katherine Hodgin and many others. Many 
classes alternate teachers on a monthly basis so 
that nearly everyone in the class gets a turn at 
teaching. 

Special musical training has been part of 
our children's program from time to time for 
several years. Ruth Hodgin, Betty Jo Armfield, 
Jackie Craven, Mary Tate Blake Joann Luck and 
others have helped with the music programs in 



21 



recent years. 

The Sunday School is still an important 
phase of church work. It is a real learning and 
training period for all ages. 

After the Sunday School the next 
organizaton in the church was the Epworth League. 
This young people *s group is now called the UMYF 
or United Methodist Youth Fellowship. The group 
was first organized in 1895 for it was reported to 
the Quarterly Conference September 1895 that the 
enrollment was 22. No leaders were mentioned. 

In later years Mrs. J. P. Cox worked with 
the League. Others directed for a short while. 
After the name was changed to M.Y.F.(and later 
UMYF) and in the 1950 's two leaders met with the 
group on each Sunday Night. These were: Bea 
Anderson, Frances Craven, Winnie Hicks, Rebecca 
Wright, Ruth Moffitt, Bryte Lane Evelyn Cox, Elva 
Craven, Julia Teague and others. 

More recently Tony Mar ley, David and Karen 
Zerfoss, Tony and Janice Sucky and Bill and Emily 
Johnson have been leaders. Present leaders are 
Richard and Billie Thomas and Mrs. Kay Houston. 
Ray Albright is currently Youth Coordinator. 

One important event occurred on June 20, 
1984 when two Time capsules were sealed by the 
youth at a regular church service. One is to be 
opened in the year 2000. The other will be opened 
in 2025. Church news and pictures were enclosed. 

The youth program is a training period and 
an important phase of our Religious education. 

Prayer meeting was not an organization of 
the church, but was an important phase. Here, 



22 



members told of their personal experiences which 
were really heartwarming. 

Methodists met on each Thursday night for 
the Baptists already had a monopoly on Wednesday 
nights. 

Part time visitors from other churches 
came to prayer meeting. When there was no service 
at their own church, citizens visited other 
churches especially on Sunday. The word 
ecumenical was unknown but ecumenism was practiced 
in the first quarter of this century in our to\ini 
of Ramseur. 



23 



Women's Organizations 



The very first organization of the women 
was probably a missionary society, but we have no 
records of this. From oral history we found that 
studies were made of the mission field; so this 
must have been done in a group. 

Members have told of the Ladies Aid 
Society, This was a group that did practically 
the same work as our United Methodist Women. The 
Ladies Aid met on the first Wednesday of each 
month at 3 P.M. They met in homes of members, 
paid their 5 cent dues, had a short program, made 
plans for helping the church and for making money. 

After business and program the hostess 
served refreshments which were usually cake and 
ice cream in the summer months, cake and peaches 
with real whipped cream in the cool months. 

The big project of the Ladies was a Fall 
Flower Show and Bazaar which was usually held the 
second Saturday in November. Chicken Salad and 
Oyster stew were great attractions. This event 
was first held upstairs at the old hardware store 
(this building burned in the early 1900's). Later 
it was held at the Masonic Hall and school. 

The brick three-story school was built in 
1921-22; so in 1922 the great occasion was held in 
the school basement. Former church members, 
college students and others made this event a 
real homecoming . 

In 1939 the Ladies Aid became the Woman's 
Society of Christian Service and today the United 
Methodist Women are doing practically the same 



24 



work that our foreraothers did nearly one hundred 
years ago. 

If names were used for special services 
practically the whole membership would be listed. 
We have had very dedicated women. 

In recent years a chicken pie supper and 
bazaar have been popular. We have many good 
cooks, many excellent leaders and officers. 
Today's officers are; President - Henrietta 
Dorsett, Vice- President - Dot Watkins, Secretary 
- Linda Williams, Treasurer - Madge Kivett. 



25 



Ministers 



Raraseur Methodists have had 32 ministers 
during the years 1886-1986. The first six of 
these were really Circuit Riders for they served 
from three to nine point charges. We have a 
record of eight churches and also names of their 
members that were on Ramseur Circuit in the early 
1890 's. The list with numbers of members are: 
Ramseur 183, Franklinville 200, Concord 147, 
Rehobeth 97, Staley 14, Mt. Olivet 81, Mt. Zion 
57, and Whites Chapel 35. The ministers who 
served these churches were Rev. J.C. Thomas, Rev. 
J.E. Woosley and Rev. R.S. Abernathy. 

Rev. J.C. Thomas was resident pastor of 
Asheboro Methodist from 1886 to 1890. Historian 
W.A. Underwood says that Rev. Thomas was 57 years 
old when he came to their church, but he had much 
energy and drive. This must have been true for 
he not only served Asheboro church but also Cedar 
Falls and Central Falls, and came to Columbia and 
started a church group in the Old Log School 
Building which was in the vicinity of the Ram 
Furniture Company. Rev. Thomas stayed for the 
usual four years and was followed by Rev. J.E. 
Woosley who was also pastor of Asheboro Methodist 
Church. 

In the meantime (1889) the town's name 
Columbia was changed to Ramseur. 

Rev. Woosley was also a circuit rider. He 
must have moved to Ramseur in 1891 for he was 
pastor of Asheboro Methodist for only one year, 
but stayed another year at Ramseur. His salary 
was $150 for serving our church. Ramseur Circuit 
consisted of the eight churches already named. 



26 



Rev. R.S. Abernathy came to Raraseur church 
in 1892, but stayed only two years. He was 
followed by Rev. H.H. Jordan, who was one of our 
most beloved pastors. He was very enthusiastic 
and loved to sing. A former member said that his 
favorite song was "Unclouded Day", She also said 
that he marched across the front of the church 
with his long black coat flapping as he sang. 
(Ministers wore long-tailed black coats at that 
time). 

Rev. Jordan must have had an enticing 
personality for soon there was not space to 
accommodate the crowds. More room were neded in 
the sanctuary and Sunday School. During Rev. 
Jordan's tenure the new church was built. He 
added his strength to collect money for the new 
sanctuary. Miss Vanna Burgess, a Baptist told me 
that when Rev. Jordan came to their home, her 
Grandmother Burgess went to the teacup and got 
change to donate to the new church. 

It was therefore very appropriated that the 
church should later be named for him. 

Rev. J. F. England came in 1898 but served 
only two years. He was followed by Rev. T. S. 
Ellington. He wrote the beautiful obituary for 
the beloved Judith Elfleta Watkins Cole which 
appears later in this book. 

Rev. C.A. Wood, who had been born in China 
came to serve our church in 1904. He must have 
made a great success in his four years here in our 
small church for his next appointment was Asheboro 
Methodist. 

Rev. J.E. Woosley returned to our church 
as pastor in 1908. This time he stayed only three 
years. During Rev. Woosley's pastorate in 1910, a 



27 



woman would probably have been turned out of the 
church if she had not withdrawn her membership. 
Her sin or sins were not listed, but she was 
called for a church trial; which was the custom at 
the time. To avoid a trial you could withdraw 
your membership. 

Rev. Woosley left that year so the 
question is: Was he too strict, disgusted or why 
didn't he stay the usual term? 

Rev. Ader came in 1911 and was a great 
church visitor even though his wife was sick and 
they had five children. 

Rev. R.J. Rogers came in 1915, He had 
several teen-agers and they made for more 
merriment at church socials. No record of why he 
stayed only one year is given. 

Rev, H,C, Byrura followed. Four of his six 
children were in the grammar grades. At that time 
Methodist kids liked for their pastor to have 
several children. Since then I have heard that 
the question, "How many children does the new 
preacher have?" is important only to the parsonage 
committee. 

Rev, W.M. Smith came in 1919 and was 
really back at home for he was from Rehobeth 
community, had attended Ramseur High School and 
had also taught here. He had only one child, 
Anette. 

Rev. W.L, Scott was next. This was one of 
his first pastorates after being a High School 
Principal, He became very upset if his listeners 
did not pay close attention. Some members are 
still attending church who were reprimanded for 
looking out the window, whispering or acting 



28 



disinterested. Madge Kivett, who was a teenager at 
the time, remembers having her name called during 
the service for not paying attention to the 
sermon. He also was a teacher and helped two 
pre-college girls in the summer; so they would be 
able to pass Biology at N.C.C.W. which is now 
U.N.C.G. 

Rev. J.W. Hoyle served from 1926 to 1930 
and was a very concerned pastor. The Hoyles were 
the first family to live in the new parsonage on 
Main Street. Their first son was born here. 

From 1930 to 1936 we did not follow the 
Methodist tradition with four years for each 
pastor for we had four in six years. This was 
soon after the stock market crash and times were 
hard during those depression years. Money was 
scarce; so both pastors and parishoners were 
probably struggling to make ends meet. The four 
who served were" G.W. Williams, A.C. Tippett, 
J.W. Barber and J.W. Williams. 

In 1937 Rev. R.M. Hauss came and added 
much to the town as well as the church. Next was 
Rev. J.E. Pritchard who had been a Presiding Elder 
in the Methodist Protestant Church. The Methodist 
Protestant(MP) and Methodist Episcopal(ME) had 
united in 1939 and we were fortunate to get one of 
their best leaders. He was a Randolph County 
native and very interested in the community. 

Rev. J.T. Shackford stayed only two years. 
He spent much time in study and was a real 
academician, but many could not understand his 
sermons. In his second year it is recorded in the 
minutes that it would be better for him to go to 
another charge. 

Rev. Fred H. Shinn stayed only two years 



29 



and was followed by Rev, J.W. Vestal, another one 
of the seven preachers sent out by nearby Rehobeth 
Church, He also attended Ramseur High School and 
taught here too; so he was back home. He had 
several relatives in our church. 

Rev, D, D, Broome came in 1953, He was 
already crippled with arthritis and had to have 
his work load reduced during the year and took a 
leave of absence after one year. 

Rev, Ernest Page, an energetic young man 
came, in 1954 and was a real mover. When a new 
preacher from another denomination Rev, Garland 
Bennett came to town he inquired about where the 
Ramseur citizens went to the hospital. The 
response was that he would have to be fast for 
that Methodist preacher beat the ambulance there! 

Rev, Worth Sweet served five years. 
During his pastorate, Ramseur Methodist became a 
one station charge. He was a great leader. 

Rev, M,P, Hughes followed Rev, Sweet. He 
could spend his entire time with our church and 
people. He did this in a very dedicated manner. 

Rev, Robert E, Early followed. He was 
sick for awhile but continued with the help of his 
wife who had worked in Conference Sunday School 
work before her marriage. 

Rev, Dale Groh stayed only one year. He 
was unhappy with our parsonage location. Since it 
was so near the business section he didn't think 
it was a suitable location for his two children. 

Our next pastor Rev, George B, Culbreth 
really stayed with us! He was our beloved pastor 
for 8 years and he and his wife Vivian then 



30 



retired in Raraseur. He is now Pastor Emeritus of 
our church, sings in the choir, visits, preaches 
and is ready when needed. The visitation program 
beign carried on by the Culbreths is one of our 
most valuable ministries, expecially since our 
churchs has a large number of shut-ins. 

Rev, Eugene Johnston stayed only 3 years 
for he wished to be near his parents in Asheville, 

Rev, Steve McLain has been our pastor for 
the past 4 years. He has had to work under 
pressure because of the building program which was 
going on. He has brought many new members into 
the church. With the completion of the first 
phase of the renovation project he moved into his 
new office which has plenty of space for him to 
work. He has been very helpful in planning for 
our 100th Anniversary. 

Jordan Memorial has been blessed with 
dedicated pastors. Even though the four-year 
tenure tradition has long been abandoned we have 
had ten ministers to serve the traditional four 
years. Three served five years, and Rev, Culbreth 
served eight years. 

We haven't sent many along the way to 
become preachers, but we have kept one, for Rev, 
Culbreth retired in our town. 

Two high school principals became 
Methodist preachers after they left Ramseur. Rev. 
E.J. Harbison already had his license and was a 
member of the Western N.C. Conference. He 
attended our church, taught classes and helped in 
any way he could. After two years at our local 
school he became pastor of Calvary Methodist 
Church in High Point. 



31 



A.W. Lynch was principal of Raraseur school 
from 1919-1921. His mother said that he started 
preaching when he was only a boy. For a while he 
stayed at home and helped his mother who was a 
widow. 

The following was copied from the N.C. 
Conference Memorial service June 8, 1974: "But 
the call to preach became more insistent than ever 
and he answered the call by requesting that the 
Raraseur Methodists recommend him for a local 
preacher's license. This request was gladly given 
and in due time he was recommended for admission 
to the Western N.C. Conference admitted on trial 
October 17, 1923 in Winston-Salem." 

Rev. Lynch served our Methodist churches 
for over thirty-five years. 

We have had several summer youth directors 
who have become preachers. These received much 
training here. 

Many of our pastors may have felt like the 
preacher in the story that Bishop Jones told at 
Conference in 1985. He said that this preacher 
said he would have been a great preacher if it had 
not been for two people, his predecessor and his 
successor. 

Probably some of our pastors have felt 
this way and we could also be blamed for successes 
or failures, but we should really appreciate those 
who have come and labored with us. We have 
received blessings many fold! 



32 



Outreach 



Methodists in the Raraseur area have shown 
concern for others ever since the church was 
orgnized in 1886. In the earliest minutes we find 
that this question was asked at a board meeting: 
"What is being done for the needy?" And in answer 
to the question a report was given. 

Support of missions has always been a 
major concern of the church. One of the church's 
first ministers Reverend C. A Wood, was born in 
China. He obviously had a strong influence on the 
early membership of our church, because mission 
study courses were held often. 

Children's groups named Light Bearers and 
Willing Workers met on Sunday afternoons. They 
heard stories about missionaries and gave their 
pennies for sending missionaries to foreign lands. 

Another special interest was The Methodist 
Orphanage at Winston Salem. Two superintendents 
at the home had been previously connected with 
Raraseur in some way. This relationship helped 
spark a special interest in the orphanage from our 
early church members. 

Our church also helped serve the early 
educational needs of the people of Ramseur. 
People from the town were invited to use the 
church library. This library was beleived to have 



33 



been started before the turn of the century. 
Board minutes in 1899 showed that Mr. C. B. Smith 
was librarian. 

The books were kept on shelves in the 
right rear of the sanctuary. Huge panels stained 
the color of the church walls kept the 
congregation from seeing the books during worship 
service. The church librarian went to each 
classroom distributing and collecting books. This 
was a valuable and much appreciated service. At 
that time there were few books in circulation and 
it was a treat to have them. Alton Craven, Sr. 
served as church librarian for many years. 

Many of the church's books have now been 
stored waiting for completion of the renovation 
project and a new library to display them. The 
majority of our books have been donated over the 
years. A fairly large number of books were 
donated by C. B. Smith family members, Elizabeth 
and Frances. 

Many of our books have been classified and 
cataloged by expereinced town librarians. Mrs. 
Ruth Moffit spent many hours working on this 
classification earlier and more recently Crandall 
Ellison has done a great deal of work in 
cataloging them. The public library located 
directly across the street from our church now 
serves many of the needs of local people that were 
once served by our church library. 

Scouting is another strong outreach 
program that has been a responsibility of our 
church for many years. For many decades both Boy 
Scout and Girl Scout troops have met at our 
church. And Jordan Memorial still sponsors scout 
troops. 



34 



The fellowship hall in our educational 
building has served as the crossroads of our 
community ever since it was completed. It is used 
regularly for meetings of the Lions Club and is 
often used by other civic clubs. Family reunions, 
holiday gatherings, religious gatherings, and 
senior citizens groups meet here often. It is 
also used for meetings of our United Methodist 
Youth Fellowship, an adult Church School class, 
parties, bloodmobile stops, and even for teaching 
clases sponsored by Randolph Technical College, 

Each year special Lenten Services are held 
at Jordan Memorial the week before Easter. People 
from many other churches in town participate. 
Services start at noon and last 25 minutes. This 
allows workers in the area to leave their jobs 
duing lunch hour, attend the service, have a light 
lunch and return to their jobs on time. These 
unique and inspirational servcices serve a special 
ecumenical purpose in our small town. 



35 



Music 



Methodists have always been noted for 
their singing. In fact when the denomination was 
new in America it was said that they (the 
Methodist) were heard long before they were seen. 

From the early years certain families 
really carried the tune. One of these families 
was the Dixons. Composed of J.B. Dixon, son John 
and later his daughters. Also the Smith family 
added much to the musical program, 

A special men's quartet was composed of 
C.B, Smith, V.C. Mar ley, N.F. Marsh, John W. Dixon 
and I.E. Craven. Miss Lizzie could get four of 
these men together for most any service. They 
enjoyed singing and were often asked to perform. 

Margaret Rheim, Margaret Craven, Frances 
Craven, and Mary Tate Graham were soloists in the 
choir for many years. 

In later years Madge Moffitt Whitesell 
helped with music and another men's quartet sang 
often. This quartet was composed of V.C. Marley, 
J.O. King, J. Preston Cox and Cecil A. Cox. 

Mrs. Elizabeth Smith Phillips (Miss 
Lizzie) was church organist for nearly fifty 
years. She taught many younger students and they 
played for services. Carolyn Albright became our 
church organist in 1963 and also directs the 
choir. 

Special programs are given each year at 
Christmas and at Easter. We still have musical 
families, the Hodgins, Aliens, Albrights, 



36 



Zer fosses Lucks, Blakes, and others that have more 
than on member in the chior. Also we have many- 
individuals who really "Sing Unto the Lord" and 
inspire us in our church services. 

Jordan Memorial is noted for a good music 
program. Visiting speakers often recognize this 
and comment on these performances in our services. 




37 



Church Outings 



Today's church youth go to the beach, to 
Washington or skiing for their special trips. In 
earlier days the entertainment for church members 
was a church social, an ice cream supper or 
walking to Franklinville's Faith Rock with a 
picnic lunch, visiting and riding home on the 
train at 5 o'clock. 

Special train trips were made to the 
Guilford Battleground on the 4th of July or an 
excursion to Wilmington and the seashore. 

After Children's Day in the summer the 
women of the church took all the participants in 
the program to Holland's Creek for an outing and 
picnic. Everyone walked, then waded in the creek, 
played games, picked wild flowers and drank from 
the spring which was supposed to have medicinal 
qualities. The name was Mineral Spring but is not 
now in use since the road changed the picnic area 
and the spring lost its aura. 

The Sunday School usually had one picnic 
per summer. One especially remembered was at 
Holly Springs. It rained and dampened both 
spirits and food. After the shower, food was 
spread on the porch of the Meeting House. 

Another memorable trip was on a Tuesday in 
May 1925 when the Sunday School went to the 
Methodist Children's Home at Winston Salem. 
Today, a week-day trip would be impossible for a 
whole congregaton. Cars were the mode of 
transportation, and there was plenty of room. We 
took our lunch and a whole truck filled with 
watermelons. The truck was driven by Exton 



38 



Kivett, 

It took a long time to get to Winston for 
the cars did not travel as fast then. Also we had 
to go through several tovms. High Point was the 
first notable problem. A four-track railroad 
crossed Main Street in High Point. Luther and 
Ollie Craven had 4 eleven year old girls (Nellie 
Wylie, Nellie Kivette, Maxine Corrington, and 
Sarah Williams) in their car. Just as they 
started crossing the tracks the old Ford stalled. 
A train was coming and the warning bars were 
already down. The girls jumped out of the car and 
ran. Fortunately the bars were manually operated 
so they were raised and the car was pushed off the 
tracks. 

Another incident happened in Winston 
Salem. In fact all the group tried to stay as 
close to the lead cars as possible. The E.G. 
Watkins Sr. family had two cars in the procession. 
Ashley was a very young teen-ager and his mother 
had told him to drive right behind her. Ashley 
was following directions when they came to stop 
lights. So, whether the light was red or green he 
continued right behind her. After arriving at the 
orphanage the group delighted in telling how many 
red lights Ashley crossed. Rev, W.L, Scott's car 
had trouble but Fletcher Cox got it working; so 
they too arrived safely. 

After all had arrived the lunch was 
spread, and in the Blessing, thanks were given for 
our safe trip. In the afternoon members visited 
the cottages, school and other buildings. Then a 
baseball game was played. Our younger men played 
the High School team of the Home. Later the 
children were invited to eat watermelon with our 
group. 



39 



The Winston Salem Children's Home had 
always been a special project for our church. One 
of our parsonage children O.V. Woosley later 
became Superintendent where he served for many 
years. Fifth Sunday offerings, plus a work-day 
offering at Thanksgiving made our congregation a 
great contributor to the home. (This was before 
the unified budget system) , 



40 



Christmas 



Christmas eve was one of the biggest 
events of the year for our church members in the 
early days. Events centered around a big 
Christmas tree. A program of songs, speeches, 
stories, dialogues, and pantomimes were all part 
of the program. Usually everyone was well 
prepared for the program because Miss Lizzie spend 
much of the month of December rehearsing with us. 

To the children it seemed like forever, 
but the day would finally arrive and a big holly 
tree would be placed in the sanctuary to the left 
of the pulpit. The giant tree with its red 
berries would reach to the ceiling. Candle 
holders made of tin would be clipped to each limb. 
Gifts would also be tied to the branches. These 
would be distributed after the program. 

During the program the candles on the tree 
flickered and burned brightly. Sometimes one of 
the gifts would catch on fire. One of the men 
would quickly stomp it out and the program would 
continue. It was a miracle that the church didn't 
burn during those early years. 

During the program Santa Claus always paid 
a visit but he never stayed long. He had to move 
on quickly so he could visit the other churches in 
town. Treats were given to all Sunday School 
members. This treat consisted of an orange, 
apple, raisins, candy and other goodies in a brown 
paper bag. 

We still have special programs at 
Chtistmas time but they are quite different from 



41 



those of the early days. We keep an artificial 
Christmas tree in the sanctuary most of the month 
of December. It is decorated with 
Chrismons(special Christian symbols). And our 
minister conducts a special 

Advent candle lighting service each Sunday during 
this special season. 

Special Christmas celebrations usually include 
a music program by our chior, a service for all 
church members conducted by the Womens Society of 
Christian Service, a Christmas program during 
Church service by the childrens' Church School and 
others. 



42 



Parsonages 



The first parsonage was built on Liberty 
Street beside the first church in the early 
1890's. The J.W. Woosley family lived here first. 
This house is now occupied by Mrs. Floyd Moffitt. 
The last minister to live here was Rev. W. L. 
Scott. Several parsonage babies were born here. 
One was Senator Everett Jordan. 

The second home for our minister's family 
was on Main Street near the church. This 
parsonage was larger and built according to the 
style of the 20 *s since it was built in 1927. The 
J.W. Hoyles lived here first and had the first 
baby born there. The Rev. George Culbreth was the 
last parsonage family to live there. Rick and 
Nancy Frazier bought this home. 

The third parsonage is at 204 Holly Hill 
in East Raraseur and is not as convenient to the 
church as the other two. It was first occupied by 
the Eugene Johnston Family in June 1979. 



43 



Doorkeepers of the Lord 



At the funeral of a church member who had 
looked after the cleaning of our church the 
minister said, "He was really a doorkeeper of the 
Lord, for he actually opened the doors for Sunday 
Services". This statement would apply to many 
faithful servants. 

In the early minutes and list of expenses 
no names of sextons are listed. Sexton was the 
title in those days, but now it is church 
custodian. 

It was listed that $4.00 was paid the sexton for 3 
months. 

Some of those faithful stewards were: 
T.E. West, W.M. Williams, Holyrod Wilson, Luther 
and Ollie Craven, Floyd and Ruth Moffitt, Otis 
Burns and Maxton Hudson, 

Floyd and Ruth Moffitt continued to look 
after the kitchen from 1956 until they were unable 
to come to church. This was done for love of 
church and not pay. Mrs. Texie Mace continues 
this with loving care. 

Today, we have an industrial cleaning 
service to take care of our church. This does not 
include the kitchen utensils, etc. Mrs. Mace 
gives her service each Monday morning. 

This church cleaning was a sacred service 
when we children helped. We were not allowed to 
run or be noisy in the church even while the 
building was being cleaned. So when we came with 
our father to help clean we had a long stay, for 
the whole church had to be swept with a broom^ 



44 



The Capel House 



Our church history would be incomplete 
without mentioning this old home across the street 
from the church. Mr. A.W.E. Capel came to 
Columbia to help with Columbia Manufacturing 
Company and built his home in the 1880 's. He was 
a class leader in our early church. 

A.W.E. are initials for Arron William 
Elijah, an unusual name. 

The Capel home was almost a part of the 
church for the church yard was very small. Any 
activity, other than regular services had to take 
place at another spot; so many games and church 
socials were held here. 

One of the Saturday night summer 
entertainments of earlier times was an ice cream 
supper which was always announced to be at the 
Capel House. This beautiful yard was really made 
into a fairyland. Japanese lanterns were strung 
from tree to tree. At dusk candles were burning 
in them and gave light for the group. Tables were 
arranged on one side of the walkway. Party games 
were played on the porch and side yard. Also much 
music was heard as the ice cream and cake was 
eaten. 

During colder months the socials were held 
inside in the parlor which was a large room on the 
right. A huge fire burned in the fireplace and 
many indoor games were enjoyed. 

After the Capels moved away the house was 
used for a boarding house for awhile, so it 
continued to be a gathering place for both young 



45 



and old. 

Then about 1915 Methodist families were 
renting the house and continuing the hospitality 
for our church and others. Some of these families 
were the Charles Reeces, the N.F. Marshs and J.R. 
Wilsons. 

Later we had our Fellowship Hall and the 
need of a "place to meet" was not as great. The 
Capel House is now owned by Kermit Pell and has 
been made into apartments. 



46 



Church Secretaries 



Mrs. Pearl Floyd (Mrs. J.W. Wallace) 
served as our first church secretary for 4 years 
beginning in February 1961. She was also church 
visitor and practically an associate pastor. 

Mrs. Wallace was well-fitted for these 
jobs for she- was born in a Methodist parsonage, 
the daughter of Rev. and Mrs. J. P. Rodgers and was 
well-acquainted with needs of church people. 
During this period "The Link" our church paper was 
printed and sent to members. 

Mrs. Wallace resigned in 1964 and Alton W. 
Craven Sr. became Secretary and served until his 
death in May 1982. Alton was very effecient. He 
knew all the church people and kept us informed. 

"The Link" continued to be a real link 
between our church and the community, but it was 
being sent weekly to about 800. In March 1982 the 
Administrative Board voted to print "The Link" 
only one time per month and send it to members. 

After Alton's death, Charles Dorsett was 
interim Secretary until our new pastor Rev. Steve 
McLain got adjusted to his new assignment. 
Charlie was very knowledgeable about the church 
and membership so this was very beneficial. 

Elizabeth Jones Brown was hired as 
Secretary in November 1982. She was formerly 
secretary at the Ramseur Baptist Church and was 
familiar with church work. She lives on Ramseur 
Route and works at our church part time. She does 
her work well and is very reliable. 



47 



War Years 



War affects churches as well as homes 
and Jordan Memorial has certainly been 
influenced by wars. Many of our young people 
have been called upon over the years to help 
defend our freedom. 

Quite a few young men in Randolph County 
were members of Company K of the National Guard 
which was pressed into service in World War I. 
They participated in heavy fighting in France 
and were part of the force that finally broke 
the Hindenburg Line on November 11, 1918. 

Many young men were killed in October 
and November of that year fighting the battles 
that led up to this final victory. Among them 
was Orren Forrester, the son of one of our 
church founders, James 0. Forrester. 

Each of the soldiers from our church was 
represented by a blue star on a red and white 
silk banner. After Orren Forrester was killed 
in battle his blue star was replaced by a gold 
star. His young war bride came to visit the 
Forrester family often and attended our church 
when she visited. 

Another church member, Ferree Trogdon 
was gassed and wounded in the same war. He 
recovered and came back to live a good life and 
was a faithful church member. His wife Mary 
still attends Jordan Memorial. His grandson 
Michael has loaned us an 1886 Methodist 
Discipline to display during our centennial 
celebration. Rules for the formation of our 



48 



chruch are contained in this book. 

During the war years all members were 
given a chance to help their nation, not just 
the young men who joined the armed forces. 
Members were asked to buy war bonds, join the 
Red Cross, knit, and make bandages for use at 
home and abroad. Ministers of Randolph County 
churches helped present the Red Cross story to 
thier members. 

Each community had fund leaders to help 
raise a Red Cross quota. Our own Mrs. I. F. 
Craven(Miss Etta) was fund leader for Ramseur. 

Dr. F. C. Craven from our church was 
appointed chairman of the Randolph Civilian 
Releif. 

A big "Welcome Home celebration" was 
given for the boys of Company K by the Red Cross 
following the 1919 victory. Some of the boys 
returning home for the celebration had family 
members in our church but names are not 
available. 

When World War II broke out in 1941 our 
church was again disrupted. Rev, J. E. 
Pritchard wrote in his August 1943 quarterly 
conference report, "Considering the drain on the 
communities by those going into the armed forces 
and others going into defense work we are doing 
fairly well." 

During those bleak war year special 
services were held to honor soldiers, their 



49 



parents and wives. Reports from those troubled 
times say that it was hard to keep local church 
organizations functioning because so many young 
people were away at war, doing defense work, or 
in college. 

The Quarterly Conference report of 
October 15, 1943 shows that a plaque bearing 
the names of all soldiers from our church was 
presented by our Woman's Society of Christian 
Sevice. The inscription read: "In honor of 
those who reprsent our church in the service of 
God and country." 

The men whose names appeared on that 
plaque included the following: 

1. Clifford Trogdon 

2. Mont Gilmore 

3. Curtis Lineberry, Jr. 

4. Robert Henley 

5. Tate Parks 

6. Charles York 

7. Claude Hardin 

8. Tate Kirkman 

9. Bob White, Jr. 

10. Jimmy Chisholm 

11. Arnold Davis 

12. Morris Midkiff 

13. Dwight Kimrey 

14. W.I.Jones, Jr. 

15. Allen Graham, Jr. 

16. Ray Kirkman 

17. Clifton Brown 

18. Kerrait Kimrey 

19. C.T. Hardin, Jr. 

20. Wendell Jones 



50 



21. Bobby Marley 

22. Billy Marley 

23. Kenneth Kivett 

24. William Watkins, III 

25. Glenn Highfill 

26. Gordon Trogdon 

27. Clay Thomas Kinney 

28. Tate Welch 

29. Ward Trogdon 

30. Walter Clark 

31 . Arthur Gant 

32. Leo Rich 

33. Marvin Luther 

34. Charles Dorsett 

35. Joe Harris Marley 

36. Edward Parks 

Our men in service who went away to 
serve their country weren't forgotten by the 
church or its members. At one time 21 letters 
were mailed to the men who were away in service. 
And judging from the replies to those letters 
the men who received them were obviously 
grateful that the chruch remembered them. 

The 36 men listed above are the ones 
connected with the chruch at the time they 
served during the war years. Some of the others 
who served their country in the armed services 
and later joined our church include: Sam Rankin, 
Sr., James Rains, Ray Gilliland, and James 
Allred. Also, Charles Lambert was Sunday School 
superintendent and resigned to join the army. 

Remarkably none of the men connected 
with our church who joined in the World War II 



51 



effort were killed. Only two were wonunded. 
Robert Henley was wounded in the Battle of the 
Bulge. In December 1985 he received a Bronze 
Medal in recognition of his service to his 
country. After returning home he served on the 
Randolph County Draft Board for many years. 

James Allred was wounded on the Island 
of Palawon in 1945. This island is located in 
the Pacific between the Phillipines and Borneo. 

Dewey Barber, son of one of our 
parsonage families was killed in the war. He 
was the son of Rev. and Mrs. J. M. Barber. Rev. 
Barber served as our minister in 1934 and 1935, 

How great it would have been if World 
War II could have lived up to its slogan-the 
war to end all wars. But that wasn't to be. 
For only a few years passed until our country 
was again fighting, first in Korea and then 
Vietmam. 

Again our young men were involved. Col. 
Harold Luck served tours of duty in both Korea 
and Vietnam. He has been remembered by one who 
took reserve officer training with him at North 
Carolina State University as a brave young 
officer who was always willing to do more than 
his part. Harold passed way recently and his 
family now lives in Ramseur. They are active 
members of Jordan Memorial. 

Mack Clark was killed soon after 
arriving in Vietnam. He had attended our Sunday 
School and youth activities at our church. Mack 



52 



was an Eagle Scout. 

For several years following the Vietnam 
war the draft continued and our young men served 
in the armed forces either on active duty or in 
the reserves. Many served in foreign countries. 



Although the draft ended several years 
back some of our young people have voluntarily 
enlisted to serve their country in our armed 
forces. Deborah Luck Goldsberry completed her 
tour of duty in 1985. She is the daughter of 
Joanne Luck and the late Col. Harold Luck. 
Deborah and her husband now live in Greensboro 

Currently one of our young men is 
serving in the Air Force. Richard Gilliland is 
now stationed at Beale Air Force Base in 
California. Richard was active in church 
activities and served as President of the United 
Methodist Youth Fellowship while in high school. 



From Cradle Roll to the 
Rocking Chair 



From the founding of our church our 
members have been concerned with and about each 



53 



other. In fact, the strong Christian spirit 
found in our many churches is the real strength 
of our Ramseur community. 

At Jordan Memorial, to encourage this 
strong Christian concern, groups have been 
formed over the years to help members grow 
spiritually and in the knowledge of the Bible. 
We've always followed the belief that no age is 
too young to learn about God and the Christian 
life. 

An active Cradle Roll Department was 
maintained in our church as early as 1910. The 
certificate below shows the record of one our 
current members on the Cradle Roll. Mrs. Nannie 
Marley was superintendent of this department at 
that time. 

After leaving the Cradle Roll Department 
children moved to the Primary Class taught by 
Miss Ida West, Each Sunday every student was 
given a card with a picture of the lesson for 
the following Sunday on it. There was a large 
poster with the same picture and lesson on it. 
This poster was in the form of a chart that had 
pages showing parts of the lesson each Sunday. 
The teacher flipped the pages showing the 
pictures. This held the attention of the 
children because it was the nearest thing to 
seeing a movie that they knew in those days. 

Around 1912 small chairs were bought so 
the small children could sit with their feet 
touching the floor while in Sunday School. 
This resulted in less wiggling and it's beleived 



54 



they paid better attention to their teachers. 

To get the attention of students the 
leader would begin Sunday School service with 
this responsive reading: 
Leader: Whose day is this? 
Children: This is God's day. 
Leader: Whose house is this? 
Children: This is God's house. 
Leader: Who's Sunday School is this? 
Children: This is God's Sunday School. 
All: This is God's day, 

This is God's house, 

This is God's Sunday School, 

Then Let us be careful, 

Then let us be still. 

And listen to the message 

Of God's word and will. 

Along with Sunday School came the 
mission groups for children. The Light Bearers 
and Willing Workers (young people's groups) met 
monthly on Sunday afternoons. 

Boy scouts were organized and Fred 
Burgess, Sr. was their leader after he returned 
from World War I, 

The children attended the 11:00 worship 
services and unless they were " lap babies" sat 
on the middle front pews. If the children 
misbehaved enough to disturb the service the 
minister would reprimand them, even his own 
children. 

The older ladies sat on the right side 



55 



(facing the pulpit) and the men sat on the left. 
They even entered the sanctuary this way. That 
was probably the reason that for many years 
there was only one door to enter the sanctuary 
and that was on the men's side of the church. 
The men had to have a place to hang their hats 
so they left them in the entry way on their side 
of the 
sanctuary. 

Many of the men sat in the same pews 
every Sunday. Some of these men were very 
faithful, and never missed a Sunday. But they 
always contributed their time and money to keep 
the church going. Some of these faithfuls 
included; William 0. Cox, W.D. Lane, J. S. 
Wylie, Will King, Lee Reece, Dr. C. S. Tate (when 
he was not on call), and Will Craven. 

In the 1920 *s our Sunday School 
sponsored a daily Vacation Bible School for our 
children and youth. The Sunday School teachers 
and college students worked with the students 
for one or two weeks at a time. 

Rev. Joe Shackford reported to the 
Quarterly Conference on September 23, 1945 that 
Duke Student C. Roy Everett, Jr. had been at 
Ramseur helping with the church's work for 10 
weeks. This included two Vacation Bible Schools 
(Ramseur and Franklinville) . He also helped with 
a week of youth training and a home visitation 
for one and a half weeks. 

As far as we know Mr. Everett was our 
first Duke student. Since that time several 



56 



other Duke students have served temporary 
assignments at our church as part of their 
training. These included; Danny Arichea, Rod 
Brown, Tom and Jean Richichi, Bill Ragsdale, Jim 
Trollinger, Debbie Lewis Fox, Jay Kowalski, and 
others. 

In the early part of the century, as our 
young ladies matured they began to join in 
special church work sponsored by Ladies Aid and 
Mission groups. They were almost intimidated by 
the capabilities of some of the older women. 
They thought they would never be able to make 
the chicken pies as well as Miss Maggie (Mrs. W. 
D. Lane) or lead and give programs like Mrs. 
Anna Leonard. 

Our congregation has been fortunate over 
the years to have pastors who were good leaders 
and who could attract good speakers to help with 
our educational and inspirational endeavors. 
One of these great speakers was Bishop Kilgo who 
gave the dedication address for our new church 
building in the fall of 1898. 

Other noted outside speakers have been 
Dr. Clovis Chaappell, Dr. Gi^lbert Rowe, Rev. A. 
W. Plyer, Bishop Paul Hardin, Jr., Rev Jack 
Waldrep, Bishop Nolan B. Harmon, Rev. John 
Ber gland. Rev. Al Fisher, Revivalist Browing and 
singer Mrs. Stucky, and many others. 

Jordan Memorial continues to open its 
doors to people from foreign lands. During the 
1983-84 school year the Robert Thomas family 
hosted an exchange student Miren Pozueta from 



57 



Spain. Mirer, attended Eastern Randolph High 
School and graduated there. Her host, Any 
Thozias, then lived vith Miren's farilv in Spain 

irr several nonths as oart of the exchange 



Another year one of our church youths 
:utored three students frozi Ethiopia in English, 

graduated fron Eastern 
and are nov living in 
visit in our cozmunitv 



The three b 


rothers 


T-— -^"— ■- "-■-■- 


School 


Texas. The 7 


- J- -■ T "1 


occasi:na__T. 




\.f ^ T- - ^ 





an excnange teacner iron 
Brazil spent a veek in the hone of Cecil and 
Evelyn Cos. She visited schools in Randolph 
County and other parts of the country as part of 
her exchange progran. She vas on scholarship to 
study sohools in Azerica. 

For the past four years our church has 
given financial help to Miriaz Arichea who 
graduates fron R-uke Tniversity in 1985. Miriam 
is one iaughter of Ranny Arichea, one of our 
R-u^-:e Divinity s -~rer students of several years 
ago. She ani her Brother SleZ'her:, visit Ranseur 
on holidays ani veek-enis occasionally and stay 
at the hone of Toni Mar ley. They usually attend 
our churoh wr.ez they're here on week-ends. 
Mirian ani Sze-p'r.er. are both talented nusicians 
and have oerforzei in our worship service. Our 
ohuroh will continue to help Stephen 
finanoiallv after Miriam sraduates in the soring 



Our church does not have its Owm senior 



58 



citizens organizataion but several members of 
our church are active in the Ramseur Senior 
Citizens group. The group often meets at our 
church. Many or our members have served as 
leaders in the group. 

One active couple in the senior citizens 
group is Ernest and Lucy Zerfoss. They moved to 
our community from Pennsylvania to retire and 
grow fruit. The Zerfoss family, including their 
son David, wife Karen, and children, Wendy, 
Stacie, Mark, and Brent, have donated the use of 
part of their farm to grow strawberries. This 
is known as God's Acre and is the focal point of 
an annual Strawberry Festival held each May by 
our church. Money raised at this Strawberry 
Festival goes to the church's building fund. 

The Strawberry Festival was started by 
the Womans Society of Christian Service and has 
now become a churchwide project. Members help 
grow the strawberries and then hold a 
celebration in May each year when berries are 
ripe. At the festival crafts are sold and 
strawberry cake and ice cream are served. The 
members use this day as a time of fun and 
fellowship as well as a fund-raising project. 



Our Steeples 



The steeple on our first church was not 
very tall. No one living today is able to 



59 



describe it. 

When the church on Main Street the 
steeple was topped with a widow's walk. This 
must have been typical church style of that day 
because it was not built to serve any symbolic 
or practical purpose, that we can tell. In 
fact, there are few other churches that have or 
ever had that style of architecture on their 
steeples. 

The widow's walk atop our steeple is 
more the style that one would expect in a 
coastal fishing village. This would be a high 
place with a hand rail where the wife would 
stand and hold while looking to see if her 
husband was returning from his fishing trips. 
And since many stood and looked for days after 
their husbands were due to return it became 
known as the widow's walk. 

No date can be found to tell us when the 
original widow's walk on our first steeple was 
replaced by a tall spire. It must have been 
around 1930, though. In 1978 the tall spire on 
our steeple was replaced with a Celtic Cross. 

The Celtic Cross was a memorial to Leo 
Rich. He had been impressed by this type cross 
during his three years of Army duty in the 
British Isles. The cross symbolizes the love of 
God as revealed by Christ on the cross and the 
circle symbolizes the endless nature of this 
love and eternity. The Celtic cross can be found 
displayed prominantly in such historic places in 
this country as Savannah, Georgia where some 



60 



very old churches now stand. 

When the latest renovation was being 
planned the church decided to restore as much of 
the historic value to the building as possible. 
Thus it was decided to replace the Celtic Cross 
with design of the original steeple(widow's 
walk) . 

The Celtic Cross was moved to a 
temporary location in the mini park in the 
sideyard of the church. It will be kept here 
until the next phase of the renovation. At that 
time it is to be moved and mounted in a 
beautiful garden area that will be landscaped. 
It should be one of the real beauty spots of our 
entire curch ground when the project is 
completed in a few years. 

The replacement of the widow's walk 
design was quite an event as many townspeople 
gathered round that morning of July 25, 1984. 
They watched the big crane swing the new steeple 
into place and all breathed a sigh of relief. 
The sturcture of the tower had to be reinforced 
before the new steeple could be put on it. Over 
the years it had leaned a few inches and workmen 
had to push it back into its level verticle 
place and shore up the structure with heavy 
timbers to hold it in place. 

So, over the years we've had two 
churches and four steeples. The symbolism is an 
important of our Christian belief. Our steeple 
can be seen all over town because it stands on 
one of the highest points in the area. Being 



61 



located directly across the street from the 
town's only post office and the public library, 
it is seen daily by a high percentage of the 
people who live in town and in the surrounding 
rural areas. We hope our church and it s 
beautiful steeple serve as a Christian 
inspiration to all who see it daily. 

At night the steeple is lighted. It 
also has two lighted stained glass windows on 
the second story level. One of these was given 
by friends and family in memory of Nina Tate 
Foust. The other was given by Mrs. Verna 
Goldston in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Cecil A. Cox. 



62 



Our First Hundred Years 



For one hundred years this Methodist 
church bell has called people to worship. We have 
no way of evaluating the blessings that people 
have received over these years. Many descendants 
of the first members are still worshipping here. 

Changes have come about. Formerly we 
heard shouting and exhorting coming from our pews. 
Since we hear these no more this does not mean we 
are not worshipping God. It only means we are 
doing it in a different way. 

The bell calling people to church has rung 
from different steeples, but has been a vigilant 
reminder that we still need to have"our hearts 
strangely warmed". 

We have many older members in our church 
but we also have alert young people who are aware 
of their rich heritage. We have many newcomers to 
Ramseur and to Jordan Memorial and they are adding 
their time and talents and financial support 
toward the continuity of a strong and united 
church. 

Recently, all our Church School classes 
seemed to be more responsive to the needs of the 
community and have been visiting and having 
fellowship with many older people and shut-ins. 

We have class Leaders no more, but we have 
strong individuals with leadership ability. The 
future will be taken care of if we continue with 
worship as the central theme at Jordan Memorial. 



63 



He Picked Them From The Fence 
And Took Them To Church 



One big reason our church grew like a 
mushroom in its early years was the fact that 
those first members recruited hard and took the 
unchurched with them to worship on Sunday 
mornings. Many recall the way I. F. Craven did 
it. 

Mr. Craven, who grew up in the Coleridge 
area, had attended Trinity College. In 1892 when 
Trinity College moved to Durham and became Duke 
University, he must have taken a job at Columbia 
Manufacturing Company. He joined the church in 
189A. 

On Sunday mornings as he walked to church he 
would pass by the rail fence which separated the 
gardens and pastures from Main Street. There he 
would find several boys lined up along the fence 
with nothing to do but watch the people walking to 
church. 

So, Mr. Craven began bringing the boys to 
Sundsy School. Some say he actually took boys off 
the fence to get them headed in the direction of 
the church. 

His ability to get the boys to attend might 
have been influenced by the fact that he roomed at 
the Capel House nearby. He was also known to have 
a strong personality and an enticing manner about 
him. What's more he had authority down at the 



64 



mill and the boys knew it. He may have even been 
the boss of some of these young men. And the boys 
who didn't work at the mill may have wanted a job 
there. But however he did it he got them to 
church. And many of them are beleived to have 
become good regular members. 



65 



They Gave Long and Tirelessly 
of Themselves 



Over the years many members have given freely 
of their time and efforts to make the church 
experience meaningful to all members and guests. 
Many have done it quietly and with little fanfare. 
They just chose to do their jobs well and they 
never found an excuse to quit. Some of these have 
worked for over a half a century in the church. 

Ever since she was a teenager Fannie Cox has 
held some position of leadership in our church or 
Church School. She has been a teacher in 
kindergarten, primary, and older childrens* 
classes. For years she was in charge of the 
church Easter egg hunt and shared her yard for the 
event. 

For many years now she has ordered and 
distributed the literature used by all of the 
Church School classes. 

Another long-time Church School worker is 
Madge Kivett. She has taught a class for more 
than 60 years. She has taught at many different 
levels and currently works with the Senior High 
class. 

Madge has visited the Holy Land and brought 
back a very interesting program on what she saw 
there. Her pictures of biblical sights from that 
part of the world have inspired many teachers and 
workers in our church. She has held many other 
jobs in the church over the years. She is a Lay 



66 



Speaker and takes part in many connectional 
church activities. She is much in demand as a 
speaker at other churches and at civic clubs. 

Many other members currently in our church 
have given several decades of service. We could 
mention many others who have worked long years in 
our church but space will not permit us to 
mention all of them. 



Mount Shepherd Retreat Center 



Our church is fortunate to have access to 
camps and other facilities. Many of our young 
people have taken advantage of the facilities 
offered at Camp Tekoa at Hendersonville, 

The High Point District has its own camp 
located West of Asheboro. Called Mount Shepherd 
Retreat Center, it has facilities for overnight 
camping and has summer supervised camping 
programs. The camp is supervised by Pat 
McPherson. The UMYF from our church takes 
advantage of the fact that the camp is located 
only a 45 minute drive away. It's coincidence, of 
course, that Mount Shepherd is located near where 
John Wesley supposedly saw the deer stand and 
wanted to make it into a brush arbor for 
preaching. 



67 



These news clippings appeared in one of our county 
newspapers. The first two tell a story of one of 
our early members who was loved by all. The third 
tells of happenings in our community during the 
early days of our church. 



A Beautiful Marriage, 

"In the Methodist church in Ramsuer, N.C. at 
11:30 o'clock Wednesday morning May 19th 1897 Mr. 
J. Ed. Cole and Miss Fleta Watkins were united in 
holy ties of wedlock by the Rev. H. H. Jordan in a 
most graceful manner. The wedding march was 
beautifully played by Miss Jessie Spencer of 
Charlotte. The altar and chancel were most 
tastefully decorated for the occasion. The bride 
was dressed in a brown traveling suit and never 
looked sweeter and the groom was as handsome as a 
Chesterfield. Upon leaving the church they 
received the congratulations and good wishes of 
their friends after which they were driven to 
Liberty where they took the north bound train for 
a bridal trip. Among the many visitors were 
Messers. J. A. Cole, of Coleridge, father of the 
groom, T.C. Russell, Dr. and Mrs. R.L, Caviness, 
Mr. and Mrs. John Caviness of Coleridge, Miss 
Minnie Smitherman and Clyde Capel of Troy, Mr. and 
Mrs. R. E. Patterson, of Liberty, Miss Lula 
Morris, of Asheboro, Prof. 0. W. Carr, of 
Greensboro and many others." 



68 



"Coleridge - Mrs. Judith Elfleeta Cole was born 
May 12th, 1872, and departed this life December 
24th, 1900, aged 28 years, 7 months and 12 days. 
She joined the M.E. Church, South, at 12 years of 
age, and lived a consistent Christian life to the 
end. She was so noble and kind to every one, that 
every heart feels a pain of grief and sorrow at 
her death, and bathe her grave with tears of love. 
She was married to Mr. J.E. Cole May 19th, 1897. 
She has one sweet little daughter, Sarah, father, 
mother, husband, sister, brothers, and a host of 
friends to mourn their loss, but their loss is her 
eternal gain, for she has now met her sweet infant 
who preceded her to the realms of joy and 
happiness in the bright world of bliss and glory. 
May God comfort the bereaved ones, heal the broken 
hearts, and bring them at last home to heaven." 

T.S. Ellington. 



Ramseur Items. 

"Country produce is getting scarce 
consequently our merchants have not been very busy 
for the last two weeks. 

Miss Minnie Smitherman and Mr. Clyde Capel of 
Troy were in town last week. 

Rev. A. A. Crater and Miss Lula Morris of 
Asheboro were in town on Wednesday last. 

The quarterly meeting at Holly Springs on 
last Sabbath was attended by a large number of our 
young folks. 

We were glad to see Messrs. I.F. Craven of 
Trinity, R.E. Patterson Jr., of Maxton and Dr. 
Dennis L. Fox, of Worthville here on Wednesday 
last. 



69 



The firm of Copeland & Marsh has been changed 
to Marsh Bros. 

Messrs. A. B. Covington and Julius Bowden 
went to Richmond county on Monday last. 

Mrs. W. H. Elwell and little Johnnie of 
Maxton are spending some time with her parents Mr, 
and Mrs. A. B. Covington. 

Mr. Wra. Covington of Roberdel spent last 
Saturday and Sunday with his brother Mr, A. B, 
Covington." 



70 



Ministers Who Have Served 
Our Church During The Last Century 



J. c. 


Thomas 


1886-1889 


J. E. 


Woosley 


1890-1891 


R. S. 


Abernathy 


1892-1893 


H. H. 


Jordan 


1894-1897 


J. F. 


England 


1898-1899 


T. S. 


Ellington 


1900-1902 


C. A. 


Wood 


1903-1907 


J. E. 


Woosley 


1908-1910 


0. P. 


Ader 


1911-1914 


T. J. 


Rogers 


1915 


H. C. 


Byrum 


1916-1918 


W. M. 


Smith 


1919-1921 


E. J. 


Harbison, Jr. 




W. M. 


Smith 


1922 


W. L. 


Scott 


1923-1925 


J. W. 


Hoyle, Jr. 


1926-1929 


W. R. 


Harris 




G. W. 


Williams 


1930 


A. C. 


Tippett 


1931-1932 


J. M. 


Barber 


1933-1935 


J. W. 


Williams 


1936 


R. M. 


Hauss 


1937-1940 


J. E. 


Pritchard 


1941-1944 


J. T. 


Shackford 


1945-1946 


F. H. 


Shinn 


1947-1948 


J. W. 


Vestal 


1949-1952 


D. D. 


Broome 


1953 


Ernest D. Page 


1954-1958 


Worth 


Sweet 


1959-1963 


M. Preston Hughes, Jr 


1964-1966 


Robert E. Early 


1967-1970 


Dale 


G. Groh 


1971 


George B. Culbreth 


1972-1979 


Eugene C. Johnston, Jr 


1980-1982 


T. Steven McLain 


1983 



71 



Name Changes 



1886-1939 - Ramseur Methodist Episcopal Church 
South 

1939-1954 - Ramseur Methodist Church (The 

Northern Methodists and southern 
had separated because of Civil War. 
In 1939 they reunited) 

1954- Jordan Memorial Methodist Church 

(In 1954 church members approved a 
$10,000 gift from the family of the 
first pastor of the church after it 
moved to the present location on 
Main Street Rev. H. H. Jordan). The 
church later became Jordan Memorial 
United Methodist Church following a 
merger of our denomination. 

It was voted to change the name to Jordan 
Memorial Methodist in memory of this beloved 
pastor. 

Along with these changes we have also had 
changes in circuits and Districts circuits: 

1886-1891 - Asheboro Circuit 
1891-1904 - Ramseur Circuit 
1904-1958 - Ramseur - Franklinville 

Charge 
1958-1985 - Ramseur - Jordan Memorial 



Districts: 



Greensboro - 1886-1940 
High Point - 1940-1944 
Thoraasville- 1944-1960 
High Point - 1960-1986 



72 



Members Who Joined Over 
60 Years Ago 



1. Dixie Gant 1907 

2. Mary C. Lambert 1910 

3. Fletcher Cox 1912 

4. Elise Grimes 1913 

5. Ben Smith 1916 

6. Margaret Lane 1918 

7. Guye Lane 1919 

8. Evelyn W. Cox 1919 

9. Bill Watkins 1921 

10. Ashley Watkins 1922 

11. Verna W. Goldston 1922 

12. Madge C. Kivett 1922 

13. Ruth C. Moffitt 1922 

14. Charles Dorsett 1923 

15. Edna Highfill 1923 

16. Fannie Cox 1924 



73 



Early Methodist Churches 
in Randolph County 



Year Formed 


Church 


Township 


1780 


Old Union 


New Market 


1790 


Hopewell 


Trinity 


1790 


Shiloh 


Providence 


1792 


Ebenezer 


New Market 


1825 


Concord 


Coleridge 


1830 


Rehobeth 


Columbia 


1831 


Randolph 


Liberty 


1831 


Grays Chapel 


Providence 


1833 


Giles Chapel 




1834 


Asheboro 


Asheboro 


1839 


Flag Springs 


Grant 


1848 


Browers Chapel 


Grant 


1848 


Mt. Shepherd 


Tabernacle 


1849 


Mt . Lebanon 


Randleman 


1850 


Pleasant Grove 


Tabernacle 


1855 


St. Paul 


Randleman 


1859 


Fair Grove 


Richland 



^>- 



74 



About Our History 



In this story of Methodism in our town, now 
called Ramseur, we've tried to piece together the 
history as best we can. Much of the information 
came from recollections by members who have been 
in our congregation for several decades, 

Unf ortunatley many of the records from our 
early church years were destroyed in a fire when 
Marley's store burned several years ago. 

Thus, we hope our account of the church given 
in this booklet is fairly accurate. We ask anyone 
who recalls additional stories or anecdotes about 
the early church to report them to some member of 
the heritage committee so they can be recorded as 
part of our history in later years. 

Since we had to depend on memory rather than 
records we choose not to write a chronological 
history of the church. Instead we've put many 
different stories together on several different 
subjects. Each of these individual stories may 
cover part or all of the 100 years that our church 
has been in existence. 

In this booklet we've tried to convey the 
fact that United Methodists have always been a 
caring and loving group of people. Our primary 
mission is that of spreading the word of God in 
our community and throughout the world. 

Our methods may differ from those of other 
churches. But we recognize and acknowledge that 
we are all part of the same divine brotherhood 



75 



regardless of our denomination. 

As United Methodists we represent more than a 
single group of people who attend Jordan Memorial 
at Ramseur, North Carolina. We strongly beleive in 
the concept of living our religious commitments 
rather than just speaking them in public. 

Jesus taught his early followers , "When you 
refuse to help the least of these, my brothers, 
you refuse to help me." Thus, we believe that 
helping our fellow man regardless of nationality, 
social creed, race or worldly standing is a 
priviledge and responsibility afforded all 
Christian people. 

One of our major strengths as United 
Methodists is the connectional church. Through 
this highly organized church connection we have 
access to leadership and resources that wouldn't 
be possible otherwise. 

From our bishops, district superintendents, 
ministers, and other staff people of the 
connectional church we draw leadership and 
strength. And although this high degree of 
organization may seem awkward to outsiders at 
times, it works well to keep our denomination 
strong and viable. 

In our local church we also have a high 
degree of organization. This gives a large 
percentage of the members of our congregation a 
chance to be part of its leadership. 

A century seems like such a long time for any 



76 



organization to exist. Thousands of clubs, 
companies, organizations, families and individuals 
have come and gone during this time. 

Even more amazing is the fact that for 20 
centuries a strong belief in Christ the Son of God 
has been passed to each succeeding generation. 
While each generation has slightly altered the way 
it choses to worship, the sprit of 
God continues to guide us and shape our 
civilization. 

We the people of Jordan Memorial United 
Methodist Church are fortunate to live where 
freedom to Worship God as we see fit is guranteed 
by government. Not all people on Planet Earth are 
so lucky. 

May God continue to grant this priviledge to 
the generations that follow us. And may 
succeeding generations find the strength to cary 
the torch of Christianity for centuries to come. 



77 



Budget For 1986 



Conference & District 1986 

One Figure Apportionment $12,400. 

District Expense Fund 810, 

District Missions 473. 

Lake Junaluska Fund 158. 

District Camp Fund 473. 

Missional Priorities 203. 

Duke Fund 95, 

Total Conference & $14,612, 
District Expense 

Local Expenses 



Pastor's Salary 


$18,744. 


Pastor's Travel 


2,000. 


Pastor's Hospital 




Insurance 


900. 


Pastor's Dependent's 




Insurance 


960. 


Secretary's Salary 


3,300. 


Organist/Choir 




Director's Salary 


3,600. 


Janitorial Service 


3,000. 


Lawn Maintenance 


650. 


FICA Taxes 


486. 


Christmas Gifts 


257. 



78 



Bulk Mail & Postage 


600 


Choir Expense 


300 


Commissions 


400 


Electricity 


4,000 


Fuel Oil 


1,000 


Insurance 


2,227 


Literature 


2,200 


MYF & Youth Camp 


450 


Vacation Bible School 


250 


Randolph Hospital 




Chaplaincy 


100 


Flowers 


300 


Supplies & Printing 


2,000 


Capital Savings 


3,000 


Telephone 


650 


Upper Room & Christian 




Home 


300 


Water/Sewer 


80 


Boy Scout Troop 508 


100 


Cub Scouts 


50 


Girl Scouts 


50 


Speakers 


250 


Repairs 


1,500 


Parsonage Fund 


750 


Capital Expenditures 


400 


Centennial Celebration & 


2,500 


History Publication 




(To be reimbursed by 




sale of books) 




TOTAL LOCAL EXPENSE 


$57,354 


GRAND TOTAL 


$71,966 



'ount Needed Each Sunday 
To Meet Budget $1,383, 



79 



Jordan Memorial 
United Methodist Church 
Church Officers For 1986 



Lay Leader 
Jerry Boyd 

Dslegate to Annual Ccaif erence 
Mrs. Toni G. Nferley 
Alternate Delegates 
W. Harvey Burgess 
Vaughn H. Dorsett 
Mrs. Henrietta H. Dorsett 
Chairperson Council on Ministries 
Mrs. Birily C. Johnsai 
Vfork Area Chairpersons: 
Educatiai 

Nts, Claudia H. Ihme 
Evangelian 

Ernest E. Zerfoss 
Ecurasncial & Interreligious Concerns 

I^s. Toni G. I^rley 
Missions 

Mrs. Henrietta H. Dorsett 
Church Society and Religion & Race 

Mrs. WUjih D. fferdin 
Stewardship 

D. Bruce Xhne 
Worship 

Mrs. Carolyn J, Albrlgjit 
Higher Education & C^npis Ministry 

r^s. Barbara C. Rains 
Social Concerns 

^frs. Pat A. Vincent 
Age Level Coordinators: 
Children 

Mrs. Chris J. Cox 
Youth 

J. Ray Albright 



80 



Adult 
Mrs. Vivian M. (Mbreth 

Family 
Nts. India P. Gravoi 

Aging 
Rev, George B. Culbreth 

buth Nfembers Council on Ministries 

Jeff Albri^t 

MLss CeLLa E. Johnsai 

bung Adult Manbers Council on Ministries 

Miss Susan Allen 

Joe M. Hardin 
MF Counselors 

Senior High 
Richard J. IhcnHS 
Nfrs. Billie Fay Thonas 

Junior Hig^ 

Mrs. Kay Houston 
health and Ifelf are Representative 

Mrs. Tbehm S. Loflin 
Recording Secretary 

>frs. Toni G. >ferley 
Church Historian 

I^s. Evelyn W. Cox 
Membership Secretary 

Mrs. Clara N. Pugh 
Church Treasurer 

Joe M. Hardin 
Financial Secretary 

John Allen 
Advocate Representative 

Mrs. Nbdge C. Kivett 
3iq)erintendent of Church School 

I^s. Nellie M. Canoy 

])istrict Mission Society Representative 

Mrs. ^fadge C. Kivett 



81 



Career Planning & Counselinr 

Mrs. Shirley H. Mitchell 
Secretary Church School 

Mrs. Ellen K. Staley 
Chairman of Estates & Wills 

Mrs. Edna H. Trogdai 
^feraorial Cannittee Chairperson 

Mrs. Cornelia L. Rarktn 
Ccffif erence Brotherhood 

Robert E. Thomas 
Birilder's Qub 

Darrell E. Williaios 
Lay Speakers: 

Nbrs. r*fedge C. Kivett 

Jerry W. Shackelford 

Mrs. I^ry T. Blake 

Bill Jdinson 

Efevid R. Zerfoss 
Parsonage Conmittee: 

Mrs. Sarah R. Re)niolds 

Mrs. Crandall G. Elli son 

Mrs. I^fertha A. Thomas 

J. Ray Albright 

Wi llia m R. Craven* 

Mrs. Doris Allen 
Evangel ism Ccranittee: 

Mrs. Nellie M. Canoy 

Mrs. Toni G. I^ley 

Rev. George B. Culbreth 

Miss Fannie Cox 

Mrs. Linda J. Williams 

Mrs. Clara N. Pugh ^. 

Arlie Gulp 

Mrs. India P. Craven 

Ernest E. Zerfoss* 
Building & Raiovaticai Coniirittee: 



82 



Lester C. Boger 
Bill G. Johnson 
J. Ray Albright 
Vaughn H. Dorsett 
Mrs. Cornelia L, Rankin* 
W. Harvey Burgess 
Rev. T. Steven NfcLain 
Kitchen 

Mrs. TexLe >fece 
Pianist 

^frs. Ruth R. Hodgin 
Church Secretary 
Nts. Lib J. Brown 

Etiinic Minority Local Church Chairperson 
Mrs. Toni G. Nbrley 
Roll & Status of Wcraen 
Mrs. Betty K. Shackelford 
CcraiiLttee on Pastor-Parish Relations: 
E^vid R. Zerfoss 
Mrs. Dorothy S. WatkLns ^ 
John R. Allen 
Mrs. Sandy B. Boyd 
T. Ed Parks 
^frs. Clara N. Pugh 
Vaughn H. Dorsett 
Dorrell E. Williams 
Mrs. Tcxii G. Nbrley 
Rev. T. Steven NfcLain 
Ccranittee on Finance: 
Rev. T. Steven ffcLain 
Mrs, Toni G. Nkrley 
D. Bruce Ihne 
Joe M. Hardin 
W. Harvey Burgess 
Jerry D. Reynolds* 
Mrs. Bnlly C. Jdmson 



83 



Jerry B. Boyd 
John R. Allen 
>frs, Edna H. Trogdon 
Robert E, Thomas 
Robert G. Allen 
Conmittee on Norainations & Personnel: 

Vaughn H. Dorsett 

J. Ray Albri^t 

Mrs. Vivian M. Culbreth 

Jerry D. Reynolds 

Robert E, Thoraas 

Nfrs. Betty K. Shackelford 

Mrs. Nfedge C. Kivett 

Mrs. ThelnH H. Parks 

W. Harvey Burgess 
Building & Grounds Cannittee: 
J. Ray Albright 
Robert L. Arrafield 
Ernest E. Zerfoss 
Mrs. Texie Mace 
Darrell E. Williams 
Curtis H. Lineberry 
KemrLt R. Frazier 
Vaughn H. Dorsett* 
William R. Cravei 
Trustees: 

Mrs. Colleen B. Bodsford 

Ifevid R. Zerfoss 

Larry L. Ellison 

Robert E, Thonas 

Rev. Geroge B. Culbreth 

BUI G. Johnson* 

Cranston G. Vincent 

Ed A. MitcheU 

Mrs. Cornelia L. Rankin 
Library Cannittee: 



84 



Mrs. Crandall G. Ellison 
Worship CaimLttee: 

Mrs. Sarah R. Reynolds, Acolyte Chaiman 

Mrs. Nancy Frazier, Altar Guild 

Mrs, Martha A. Thomas, Altar Guild 

Mrs. r^fary Lee Lineberry, Greeters ChairnHn; 

Cciimunion Steward 

Mrs. Kay B. Houston, Nursery 

Mrs. Betty Jo Amifield, Nursery 

Robert G. Allen, Oiief Usher 

Nts. Carolyn J. Albright, Organist/ 

Choir Director 

Mrs. Jackie P. Craven, Assistant Organist 

I^s. Lora L. Allred, Ccranunion Steward 

Miss Fannie Cox, Literature 

Iks, Celia P. Gant, Literature 

Rev. T. Steven McLain, Pastor 

l^s. Ruth R. Hodgin, Children's Music Director 

Arthur J. Barlow, >fember at Large 

Mrs. Ora P. Hardin, Nferaber at Large 

Mrs. Joanne W. Luck, Assistant Organist 
Administrative Board Chairperson 

W. Harvey Burgess 
Landscape >feintQTance Camiittee: 

Dorrell E. WillianB^ 

Mrs. Clara N. Pugh 

Robert E. Thanas 
Fund-Raising Coordinating Ccnmittee 

Robert E. ThooBS, Chairpersai 

Nfrs. Toni G. Nferley 

T. Ed Parks 
Peace Coordinator 

Mrs. Wilne Hardin 
^ferabers at Large of the Administrative Board: 

Mrs. Ellen K. Staley 

Russell J. Craven 



85 



>frs. l%dge C. Kivett 
Mrs. Edna H. Trogdon 
Mrs, Betty K, Shackelford 
Larry L. EUison 
VHIIiam H. Watldiis 
Robert E. Ihcnias 
Vaughn H. Dorsett 
Cranston G. Vincent, Jr. 
Tim C. Cox 
Robert G. Allen 
Robert L. Arrafield, Jr. 
A. daude Hardin 
T. Edward Parks 
Mrs. Verlean W. Hoover 
Efevid R. Zerfoss 
Mrs, Texie >fece 
J, Nfaxton Hudson 
Mrs. Callie C. Lane 
I^s. Cornelia L. Rankin 
DarreU E. Williams 
Richard J. Iboraas 
Sam A. Rankin 
Bill Jdmson 
William R. Craven 

Honorary Manbers of the Administrative Board: 
Fletcher Cox 
June L. Beane 
Mrs. Evelyn W. Cox 
Mrs. Ruth C. Moffitt 
Garland W. Allen 
Colon Hardin 
Cecil A. Cox ^ 
J. Wesley York 
Guy F. Lane 
Mrs. Brjrte E. Lane 



86 





DATE DUE 














































































































Div.S. 287.609756 C877 J82 1986 



_--jQr_dan^einoriaJ_Uriit^ 



rTr,,,-^r.U 1 QQC 1 




DUKE UNIVERSITY 
LIBRARY 




DURHAM, NORTH CAROUNA 
27706